When Should I Report a Vehicle Accident in California?

When Should I Report a Vehicle Accident in California?

Every time you operate a vehicle, there is risk of an accident. California’s highways are known for their large number of crashes, and it’s common for those involved to wonder when to report a vehicle accident.

It is helpful to know the laws and guidelines for how to handle a vehicle accident ahead of time so that you know what steps to take in the event of a collision.

How to Proceed After an Accident

The most important thing to do is to stop immediately and only move your vehicle to the side of the road if it is safe to do so when you are involved in an accident. If there are any injuries, call 911.

The next general rule of thumb is that you should always notify the police of an accident. They will choose whether or not they respond to the crash site, depending on the severity and location of the accident. They will likely ask you a few questions and instruct you on how to proceed.

If the other driver fails to stop, it is considered a hit and run. The police need to be notified right away in these circumstances.

You should exchange names, addresses, phone numbers and driver’s license numbers once all vehicles are moved safely off the road. The state of California recommends that you also ask to see the other drivers’ vehicle registration and driver’s license to ensure the information they gave you is accurate.

It’s also a good idea to take pictures of the other vehicles license plates as well as document damage to the vehicles and the scene of the accident.

Finally, you should notify your insurance company immediately so they can properly handle any repairs, reports and disbursements.

Legal Requirements for Reporting a Vehicle Accident in California

Though it’s important to report a vehicle accident to the police and to your insurance company, some crashes require more.

California law requires that accidents causing any personal injuries or vehicle damage exceeding $750 be reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days. Failing to report accidents can result in your driver’s license being suspended.

Involved in an Accident? Mr. Ticket Can Help!

If you’ve failed to report a vehicle accident or been ticketed for a hit and run or an at-fault accident, you might be worried about your driving record and insurance premiums. There are long-term consequences for simply paying tickets and admitting guilt, so call Mr. Ticket instead and get your traffic citation dismissed. Our team of experts handle everything from start to finish and will even appear in court on your behalf.

If you’ve been involved in an accident in California, don’t wait. Call Mr. Ticket today for a free consultation.

Similar Posts